food & san-francisco — #
A truly sad day not just for foodies but for all San Franciscans.
art & technology — #
science & sustainability — #
If you haven’t seen Mac Premo and Oliver Jeffers’ new video for U2’s Ordinary Love yet, stop what you are doing and watch it now.
And it you liked that, then check out this profile Mac did of Oliver earlier this year:
5. “The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room.”
6. “We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow.”
7. “They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax.”
8. “No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared.”
9. “Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers.”
- If the House of Representatives voted on a “clean” budget bill — one that opened up the closed federal offices but did not attempt to defund the Obama health care program — that bill would pass, and the shutdown would be over. Nearly all Democrats would vote for it, as would enough Republicans to end the shutdown and its related damage. (And of course it would pass has already passed the Senate, repeatedly, unless the minority dared filibuster it, and would be signed by the president.) For illustrations of the wanton damage, see here and here.
- So far House Speaker John Boehner has refused to let this vote occur. His Tea Party contingent knows how the vote would go and therefore does not want it to happen; and such is Boehner’s fear of them, and fear for his job as Speaker, that he will not let it take place.
Lava Mae is Retrofitting Public Buses Into Mobile Showers for the Homeless and they have a great (if unnecessary) tagline.