Portuguese Kale Soup
A deliciously hearty weeknight soup you can throw together in less than 45 minutes. This makes enough for several days of reheats. Try adding some croutons by tossing torn stale bread cubes with olive oil and herbs, baking them and sprinkling them on top.source Marc Escobosa
Ingredientsfor about 44 people
- 11 bunch kale, spinach and/or chard, washed and torn to pieces
- 11 onion, diced
- 22 can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 11 sweet potato, cubed
- 22 parsnips, cubed
- 22 quarts chicken or vegetable stock, low sodium
- 22 Linguica sausages (optional), sliced
- 11 rind of parmigiana (parmesan) cheese
- 11 burdock root (optional), diced
- 11 clove garlic, diced
- 11 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 0.33 bunch fresh thyme
- 22 bay leaves
- 0.5 teaspoon paprika
- 0 olive oil
- Heat some olive oil in the largest Le Creuset pot you feel like you using.
- If you feel like using sausage, cook the sausage in a small amount of oil until the fat is rendered out and the sausage is browning. Otherwise, skip this step, and use a touch more olive oil in step 3.
- Add the garlic and then a few seconds later the onions. Stir.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add the sweet potato (or butternut squash, alternatively), the burdock root and the parsnips, as these take the longest to cook. Add the paprika.
- Cook for 10 minutes or so until the vegetables are browning and starting to get tender.
- Add the beans. Stir with the handle of a wooden spoon to avoid breaking them up.
- Add the stock and the cheese rind. If your are using a large pot, you will need more stock than indicated above. Use the best stock you have access to as it is the basis of this soup.
- Add the thyme, the bay leaves and the vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and stir in all the greens.
- Serve as soon as the greens are wilted and cooked (shouldn't take longer than a minute).