This earthy middle-eastern rice and lentil dish with caramelized onions is delicious when paired with a vinegary salad, hot sauce and yogurt.source Various
Ingredientsfor about 44 people
- 11 cup green-brown lentils
- 1.51 cups basmati rice
- 0.33 cup olive oil
- 22 large onions, finely sliced
- 1212 ounces fire-roasted peppers in jar, chopped
- 11 teaspoon ground cumin
- 11 teaspoon ground coriander
- 0.125 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0 pinch nutmeg
- 33 whole cloves
- 0 salt & pepper to taste
- 0.25 cup caramelized onions, reserved
- 0 yogurt
- 0 flat-leaf parsley
- 0 hot sauce
- 0 tomato wedges
- Rinse the lentils to remove any stones.
- Heat 1 Tbs oil and fry the rice until slightly browned. Remove from heat.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, bring lentils end enough water to cover +1inch more to boil. Lower heat and simmer until ‘al dente,’ adding more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in skillet with oil or butter until beginning to soften. Add spices and peppers to onion and continue to sauté on lowered heat for about 45-55 minutes until deeply caramelized.
- Once lentils are soft, add rice and 3 ½ cups water. Bring to boil. Add sautéed onions, peppers and spices to rice and lentils. Cover and simmer on lowest heat possible until water is absorbed.
- When everything is cooked, fold the rice, lentils, spices, most of the onions, and more salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- To serve, form a large mound, top with the remaining caramelized onions and chopped parsley, a grind of pepper, a few grains of sea salt and any other garnishes that sound good to you.
all recipes copyright of the referenced source.