Sunchoke Soup with Pumpkin Seedssource Étoile in Yountville, CA
Ingredientsfor about 44 people
- 88 cups water
- 11 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 22 pounds sunchokes (aka Jerusalem artichokes)
- 33 tablespoons butter
- 11 cup onion, chopped
- 11 cup leek, chopped
- 22 cloves garlic, chopped
- 77 cups vegetable broth
- 0 cup cream
- 0 white pepper, ground
- 0 Garnishes
- 0 Shelled pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 0 Sautéed chanterelle mushrooms
- 0 Pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- Mix 8 cups water and vinegar in large bowl. Working with 1 Jerusalem artichoke at a time, peel and place in vinegar water to prevent discoloration. Set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, leek, and garlic; sprinkle with salt and sauté until soft and translucent, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Drain sunchokes; rinse well and drain again. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Add to onion mixture and sauté 5 minutes. Add 7 cups vegetable broth, increase heat to high, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until artichokes are very tender, about 1 hour. Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until very smooth. Return to pot. Rewarm soup, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if needed to thin. Stir in cream and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Rewarm before continuing.
- Divide soup among bowls and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds; top with a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil and some sautéed mushrooms, if desired.
all recipes copyright of the referenced source.