Yummy and classic.source Ina Garten
Ingredientsfor about 88 people
- 11 stick unsalted butter
- 1.51 ½ cups yellow onion, minced as finely as possible
- 0.25¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 11 teaspoon kosher salt
- 0.5½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 22 cups pan drippings or chicken stock, heated
- 11 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 11 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- In a large (10- to 12-inch) sauté pan, cook the butter and onions on medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Don’t rush this step; it makes all the difference when the onions are well cooked.
- Sprinkle the flour in small batches into the pan and whisk it in until you reach the desired consistency. Keep min mind the gravy will thicken when it cools. Add the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the raw flour taste is gone.
- Add the hot chicken stock and Cognac or brandy, and cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes, until thickened. Add the cream, if desired, and serve.
- You can store the gravy, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Heat it slowly before serving.
all recipes copyright of the referenced source.