Mac ‘n Cheese
From season four of Top Chef!source Ryan Scott
Ingredientsfor about 8-108-10 people
- 11 pound elbow macaroni
- 11 quart milk
- 11 stick unsalted butter
- 11 tablespoon kosher salt
- 0.5½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1212 ounces Gruyère, grated
- 88 ounces Extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
- 0.5½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 22 tablespoons white truffle oil (optional)
- 0.33⅓ pound lardons or cubed, smoked bacon
- 1.51 ½ resh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- 0 vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions; drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil. Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Add hot milk, whisking, and cook 1-2 minutes, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and add Gruyere, cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add cooked macaroni and stir well. Stir in truffle oil and chopped bacon and pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, combine with fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on top. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the top is browned.
all recipes copyright of the referenced source.