This is the real deal. You won’t go back to any other kind of waffles again. Real Belgian golden crusted glory with a billowy inside.
Source: Sandra Mols
Ingredients for about 8 people
- 12 ounces self-rising flour (~2 cups — see instructions below)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 2.25 cups sparkling water
- 1 glug vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- If your store does not carry self-rising flour, make it by following this ratio: For every cup of all-purpose flour, add ½ teaspoon of salt and 1½ teaspoons of baking powder.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until soft. Add the vanilla sugar, salt and the egg yolk and incorporate.
- Pour the sparkling water into the flour and mix together then add to the butter mixture. (You can refrigerate the batter overnight at this stage.)
- Beat the egg white stiff and add it to the mixture along with a glug of oil and fold it all in carefully.
- Let the batter rest a while (it will rise a little). You can also rest it overnight at this point.