The simplest, most delicious French dessert.
Ingredients for about 6 people
- 8 golden yellow apples
- 10 tablespoons butter
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (as desired)
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 lemon
- Peel, core and quarter the apples and place in a bath of lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add half the sugar, dot with butter cut into small pieces. Add the apples in a nice pattern then sprinkle with remaining sugar. Use more apples than you think as they will cook down. Sprinkle cinnamon, if desired.
- Place pan on medium heat until the caramel begins to brown. Flatten the apples with a spatula from time to time.Do not let it get too black or it will turn bitter.
- Place your pie crust over the apples carefully folding it around the apples along the edge of the pan. Make a few holes in the top of the pastry to let steam escape. Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Quickly turn over the Tarte Tatin using a large serving dish as a cover which you then flip over with the pan. Let the Tarte Tatin cool. Serve anytime.