recipes from the escobosa kitchens
Ingredients for about 8 people
- Pie Dough
- 1.25 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ pound butter, cold
- 1.5 tablespoons water, cold
- 4 cups gooseberries, washed & trimmed
- ½ cup sugar
- 2.5 tablespoons starch, potato or corn
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon sugar, fine
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Dice the cold butter and mix with flour, sugar and water. Knead until fairly smooth and refrigerate for one hour.
- Distribute dough into 4 pie tins. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is par-baking, wash and trim the berries then mix with the starch and sugar.
- Remove the pie crusts from the oven. Distribute the filling among the 4 crusts.Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.
- While pies are baking, mix topping ingredients together.
- Remove pies from oven. Let cool. Add a dollop of topping and serve.